This post contains affiliate links.
I started making this soup a couple of years ago when a friend of mine shared it on Facebook. I pinned the recipe immediately because she raved about it, and I noticed a few months ago, that the original website that I’ve adapted the recipe from was gone! So, I decided since I made enough changes to the recipe anyway, I’d write up my own version. This easy 30 minute black bean soup is the perfect last minute meal idea.
Skip all the way down to the bottom of this post to grab the printable version of the recipe.
One of the reasons we love this recipe so much is because you can eat it as a soup, or eat it over rice, or dip chips in it. My kids love it, and my super picky 5-year-old requests it as his favorite meal.
But, the biggest bonus for me, is that it uses canned ingredients that I can stock up on, and this is a great fall back recipe if I don’t have dinner planned. And, it tastes so good it seems like a lot more work than it really is. In just 30 minutes, you can have this whipped up and on your table.
- 4 cans (15 oz each) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2 cans (10 oz each) original Rotel diced tomatoes & green chilies
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Medium Onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Ground cumin
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
- Salt to taste
- Greek yogurt (garnish)
- green onions (garnish)
- shredded cheddar cheese (garnish)
- In a blender or food processor, add 2 cans of black beans and 2 cans of Rotel tomatoes and process until well blended. Set aside.
- Add oil to a large stockpot and heat over medium heat. Sautee onions until translucent. Add garlic and cumin and stir for another minute. Add chicken broth and let simmer for one minute.
- Add bean and Rotel mixture and stir. Add remaining 2 cans of (whole) beans. Add Worcestershire and red pepper. Mix well, and heat on medium high until boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Top soup with Greek yogurt, green onions and cheddar cheese.