Quesadillas aren’t typically considered a “healthy” food. Typically, cheese and tortillas, right? Well, these tortillas are vegetarian, with lots of flavor, and the added protein of quinoa!! And, the best part? My kids loved them!
Southwest Quinoa Quesadillas
- 2 cups of quinoa
- 4 cups chicken broth (can sub veggie broth)
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 can of corn (rinsed and drained)
- 1 can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
- salt to taste
- Corn tortillas (for a mini version) or Flour for a full-sized quesadilla
Rinse quinoa and drain. In a large saucepan boil quinoa in chicken broth. Reduce heat when it comes to a full boil, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed. Add remaining ingredients.
Spoon quinoa mixture into small corn tortillas and top with monterey jack cheese. Grill in a saucepan with a small amount of butter (or non-stick spray of choice) for 4-5 minutes on medium until tortilla is lightly browned and cheese has melted. Cut into small triangles and serve.